Anyone want a PII 333 mid-tower? (Free)

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Tue Jul 4 20:41:53 MST 2006

In a message dated 7/4/2006 8:33:50 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com writes:
My first few years accessing the Aztec Free-Net,
from home I used a dial-up connection from an old
DOS machine with a 286 and ONE mb of RAM.
(1024 KB).
I think it was too small for even the relatively smaller
WINdows in those days (3.1 say), and I am not sure
whether it could have run Gnu/Linux (I never tried).
286s cannot run regular Linux systems.  ELKS represents an 8086-compatible
Linux-alike though, and you can run Minix.  My first Unix system was a 286-16,
1Mb memory, and Minix 2.0.

Even 386s strain with modern distributions (I tried X11 once on a 386DX-40 :/)