Local classes [Was: Re: O'reilly's learninglab worthwhile?]

Culbertson, Gwenn GCULBER at CSKAUTO.COM
Tue Jan 31 16:30:00 MST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of AZ
Pete
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:12 PM
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Local classes [Was: Re: O'reilly's learninglab worthwhile?]

I've found the same dilemma.  I took an Oracle DB Design course at
MCC about a year and a half ago.  Since then all Oracle classes
(except for the most beginner levels) have been dropped due to low
enrollment.  I even tried taking a Java class at SCC and it too was
dropped due to low enrollment.  At the time I took my Oracle class, I
spoke with the director of the school and she said that this has been
a big problem since the dot-com burst.  There simply aren't enough
students enrolling to make it profitable for the school to offer
these classes.  One of the other students in my class at the time,
mentioned he was has been trying to get into certain Oracle classes
for more than a year with no luck.  They just kept dropping the
classes.  I thought I'd be able to get take some good Oracle courses
for less money by going through the community colleges, but it looks
like that's not really an option these days.  It seems one must
either do self-study with some books or go to one of those expensive
one week "boot camp" type places.

Peter