SQL Relational tables theory

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 30 22:40:45 MST 2006

I am admittedly weak on SQL usage so please forgive my ignorance here. I
probably will know A LOT more about all this in about 6 months but I am
where I am.

I have a number of tables but specifically...

clients
placements
facilities

A client may have only 1 placement
A placement may have only 1 client but there may be many placements per
client.
A placement may have only 1 facility but there may be many placements
per facility
A facility may have only 1 placement but there may be many placements
per facility

I'm wondering if it is necessary to store a facility relation in the
client table since the client will have one relation to the placement
and the placement will have a one relation to the facility.

I do anticipate needing frequent reports that list clients per facility
so that would be an advantage to store the facility in the client.
Should I be creating a relationship between client and facility when the
real relationship is between client and placement and the other real
relationship is between placement and facility?

Thanks

Craig