multiple logins & devices

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 23:15:27 MST 2006

--- Gerard Snitselaar <snits at snitselaar.org> wrote:

> They most likely have different group ids then.
> The default for a useradd in Fedora and I think
> most distributions is to create a group identical
> to the user name, and that gets assigned as the
> user's
> primary group.
>
> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 11:51 -0800, Josh Coffman
> wrote:
> >
> > --- Scott <spbz at cox.net> wrote:

> share

> own
> > > That's
> > > access
> under
> > > the

> > > don't
> > > do

> > > Josh,
> > >
> > > It shouldn't be a problem as long as they're in
> the
> > > same group (I think
> > > it's the audio group, at least, that's what it
> is in
> > > Debian) and as long
> > > as whatever program is running in another
> session
> > > that grabs the audio
> > > device is shutdown.  If that isn't a
> possibility,
> > > then perhaps a sound
> > > daemon such as esound or artsd could be used.
> If
> > > you've got a few
> > > bucks, the SoundBlaster Live! is an excellently
> > > supported soundcard that
> > > has multiple hardware DSP's so that you can run
> > > multiple audio programs
> > > without the use of a software sound daemon.
> > >
> > > -Scott
> >
> > Having tried to do it before, I know I get an
> error
> > about no sound device available on the second+
> logins.
> > I think I checked dmesg to find it was a device
> > permissions thing and tried to correct it in
> config,
> > but gave up when my first try didn't work. Had
> more
> > important things at the time.
> >
> > I'm also not sure I setup the users with the right
> > group memberships. I just entered a
> username/password
> > and moved on since  I was just getting into linux
> when
> > I first setup FC4. (tried several distros but not
> > doing this.)
> >

> > Shin zen ni rei
> > -j

ok, so I figured I would makes all the users members
of 'users' and see if that helped. But when I
attempted to use the user-switch applet it appears the
login screen crashes when I try to enter the second
users login name.

one difference from before (about 3 months ago) is
that this time I got the user switch applet from
repos. Last time I compiled it from source.

any ideas?