Need to change guids and uids

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Jan 27 17:40:55 MST 2006

I have three Debian sarge machines on a network. Two servers (softball and
gandalf) have kernel 2.6 and the laptop (latitude610) has kernel 2.4. I wanted
to share some file space from the two servers, so I installed NFS and BAM hit
the wall.

I have no problems reading/writing from latitude610 to gandalf, but I can only
read files on softball from latitude610.

I believe that the reason is that the uid/guids for user mark are the same on
gandalf and latitude601 (1000:1000), but different on softball (1001:1001).
Can this be the reason?

The plot thickens because there is already a user (emily) on softball with a
guid/uid of 1000:1000.

After some poking around, I came up with this possible solution:

# On softball - change emily's uid/guid and files
usermod -u 1010 emily
groupmod -g 1010 emily

# Change all files owned by emily to the new emily
find / -uid 1000 -exec chown -v emily:emily {} \;

# On softball - change mark's uid/guid and files
usermod -u 1000 mark
groupmod -g 1000 mark

# Change all the files owned by mark to the new mark
find / -uid 1001 -exec chown -v mark:mark {} \;

Will this work?

Also, when I do a find / -uid 1000 on softball, I get a lot of /proc/xxxxx
hits. Do I need to change these as well, or will they go away when I reboot?

Should I make these changes after booting softball in single user mode?

Is there a better way to solve this problem? Samba? Quit and just drink beer?

Thanks!

--
Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc