Novell Survey

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 09:23:18 MST 2006

Here's to editing source in VIM and keeping five to ten terminals open
at any given time!
*solidarity fist pump!*

It's hard for me to comment on current MS debugger technology because
the last time I used it, I had an extra Hercules Graphics Adapter in
my PC to display the debugging info.  (For you youngsters, that means
I'm old, for you oldsters, I'm only 31 but I was a deeply geeky
child.) , but then again, I bet most VS users complaining about *nix
debugging haven't worked with recent versions of dbx, mdb and dtrace.
Since VS is neither free nor open source, I feel inclined to bring up
both TotalView and Rational PurifyPlus.  I still think gdb is decent,
and Insight would probably make it more palatable to people who are
looking for a GUI type debugger.  I think a lot of it depends on what
your focus is debug-wise, your preferences regarding GUI vs. CLI
tools, your costs and/or  F/OSS needs, and your comfort level with any
of the tools in question.

For the record, I've yet to find an IDE that I feel "more productive"
in than I do with vim and CLI tools but I still hold hope that some
day I'll find one.

Micah