Need advice from Phoenix area technology professionals

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Jan 25 22:36:37 MST 2006

Craig Meyer wrote:

> I am seeking advice from Phoenix area technology professionals, as an
> active member in my local lug I know you are the people ask. This post
> is off topic from Linux directly and should be ignored if you’re only
> interested in on topic posts. If this discussion is not appropriate
> for this list, please reply to me off list with responses. I live in
> Wisconsin and my local lug doesn't get many subscribers to anything
> but the main list.
>
> I am planning on moving inside the next few months and am wondering if
> Phoenix would be a good place to relocate. I need a change from where
> I live in Central Wisconsin (Fond du Lac). I am an IS professional
> with 6 years experience in systems administration, network design and
> general technology related solutions. I work for a local small
> business consulting firm in Fond du Lac. We specialize in Windows
> Domain based infrastructure for small to medium businesses with
> between five and fifty computers. At a non-professional level I am
> actively involved in OSS technologies and use a completely Linux
> network at my home. I have done limited Linux/Unix support work in the
> field. In addition to my experience I also hold an AS degree in
> computer networking, the Comptia A+ and Network+ certifications and
> the Cisco CCNA certification.
>
> All that said, I am hoping that some of you can give me advice on a
> few of the following questions I have:
>
> How active is the technology job market in the Phoenix area? Will it
> be hard to find a job or just hard to find the right job?

In the past few years Google, Ebay/Paypal, Monster, and tons of other
companies have moved to Az.
A large selling point for IT is that were considered an earthquake safe
zone.  It's pretty darned hot in the summer,
but only the foolish spend very long away from water, shade, or
airconditioning during the summer here.
I think the Tech sector is pretty strong here.  I suggest you subscribe
to the aztech list ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aztech-work/ ) and
see the kinds of jobs that are being offered right now.
The Arizona Internet Professionals Association list is a good one to
lurk on too: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/azipa/
You might even get a job here before you move.

> What range of salary can I expect to be paid with the qualifications I
> listed above? Keep in mind I have a strong history of achievement that
> will be visible on my resume. Obviously the above list is only a basic
> representation of my qualifications.
>
> Are there places in Arizona other than Phoenix where I should extend
> my job search?

Get on Monster.com and Dice.com as well as the list above.  Be aware
that you'll get calls from a lot of head hunters/etc.
For those sites I recommend that you make some cosmetic change to your
resume every day.  Someone told me that they're sorted from newest to
oldest when the employers/headhunters view them and it puts you at the
top of the list.  I don't know if it's really true,  but I do know that
during the dot com bust after I started doing that I got more calls.

> I would also like advice on any non-technology related topics
> concerning my move. For instance: Where is a good place to live? How
> affordable are apartments? Any areas to avoid because of
> crime/traffic/etc..?

This site appears to be a good place to search for apartments in
Phoenix:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/search/geomap.asp?wsv_qsGeoKey=1,5,110
For houses/etc: http://www.realtor.com/Default.asp?poe=realtor

I certainly wouldn't live in some South Phoenix neighborhoods, but I
don't think the crime rate is very bad in Az.
I live in the extreme East Valley (30+ miles east of Phoenix).  It has
it's pros and cons.  It's quiet, I have a huge yard and a lot of
privacy.  The downside is that it's an hour ride to work in the
morning.  People in Queen Creek currently have an issue with traffic
bottle necks in the morning.  http://maps.google.com in hybrid mode is
great to gauge population density in whatever area you're thinking of
living.

I would recommend that you surf the websites of the local newspapers
such as http://www.azcentral.com (Arizona Republic) and
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ (East Valley Tribune) and
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/ (Phoenix New Times -a local tabloid
paper) to get an feel of the valley.

> I appreciate your time and look forward to your answers. I also look
> forward to becoming an active member of your LUG.
>
> -Craig Meyer
> craig at fdllug.org

JD