bypassing startup scripts

Gerard Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Wed Jan 25 21:01:50 MST 2006

I was thinking there was a way you get it to move on if a script is
hung up on something. Someone at work had their system stuck on starting
a daemon for arkeia I guess, and he was wondering if there was something
similar to C-\ in HP-UX. I thought I could remember doing it before with
Linux. This would be case where you don't care for it to be interactive,
but it is going along and then sits there working on one script. His
only recourse was to reboot. I'm not sure if he used 'I' or just booted
single user and turned off that startup script and did init 5.