programming on linux

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Jan 25 10:02:06 MST 2006

Josh,

I just completed a small project and used the opportunity to try my hand at
bash scripting and python. I knew neither "language"...I use Java a lot today
with a little C/C++.

The project involved making email lists for all the teams in our little
league. Basically, I had to read the names/email addresses from a mysql db,
group them into each team in each division, remove duplicates (we collect
email addresses for players, fathers, and mothers and many times all three
are the same.), and then load them into mailman on our web server.

I found it much harder to get the bash script to work than the python script.
It may be that python is closer to Java, so I may have picked it up faster.

The Python book I used was "Learning Python" from O'Reilly and the bash book
was "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash" by Ken O. Burtech. I must say the
python book was much much better than the bash book. This may have
contributed to getting the python script up and running faster.

My 2 cents:

Perl/bash - you have to use it a lot to become proficient at it. For me it is
hard to keep the syntax straight when I only have an occasional need

Python - easy to learn and use occasionally. Will be my scripting choice in
the future. (I agree with one poster's comment about indenting lines - I wish
python used braces instead)

Java - great for web based programming or gui apps. I like the fact that what
I write on Linux will (most of the time ;-) ) work on Windows and vice versa.
Servlets/JSP/JBDC are a great combination for applications or web.

C/C++ - must know if you want to work on most open source stuff. However,
there are a lot of Java open source projects - not at the level of say KDE or
Gnome.

Good luck!

--
Mark Phillips