programming on linux

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 14:44:31 MST 2006

--- Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> Josh Coffman wrote:
>
> >Licensing cost is one of the two biggest reasons I
> run
> >linux at home. I know exactly what you mean; except
> >currently am still a windows developer. Shhhh!!!
> don't
> >tell anyone on PLUG. ;)
> >
> >There's lots of aspects I don't understand. Ex: How
> >can I build my skillset up to the point where I
> could
> >earn the same as I do now? And I don't have a bunch
> of
> >time.
> >

> What is your skillset in Windows? Knowing something
> about where you're
> coming from might lead to suggestions for the
> quickest route to becoming
> a linux programming guru.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users
> Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |
> http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Ok... I'll try to avoid the whole Res....

Visual Basic 3,4,5, and 6. .Net v1.0 & v1.1, with Beta
of v2.0.
A little C++. I mostly stick to C# on .Net cause I
hate the VB syntax. I've toyed with Java and am pretty
good with javascript.
I've used a little mySQL, but really know MS SQL
Server in&out (version 6.5 to 2000)

I've done windows apps, web apps, and web services,
and everything in between. I speak xml xsl, html,
http, https, ftp, ssl, ftp/tls, ipc (some), rpc(some),
com, dcom, remoting, serialization (binary & xml), and
... I don't really feel like typing everything and
don't want to sound bragadocious.

I've been doing this for 11+ years and, I think, am
pretty good at it. I've got street cred in the ms-dev
world.

I used to be an MCSE because I promised myself I
would, but I got bored of it and didn't keep it up.