programming on linux

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 16:30:31 MST 2006

--- Micah DesJardins <micahdj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think how to fit it in depends entirely on what
> your intentions are.
>
> If you want to do glue/shell/adm stuff, shell
> scripting and perl still rule
> If you want to do application programming, you have
> a wide range of
> tools and toolkits available and I highly encourage
> you to explore
> whatever interests you.
>
> It really depends on what you want to do, but since
> you were
> discussing network apps, for both speed, library
> availability and the
> ability to be compiled anywhere I'd recommend
> sticking to GCC
> compliant C code.  That said, there are TONS of
> beautiful programs
> written in
>
> For kernel / driver programming I believe this is
> all pretty much C code.
>
> As I understand it, you can link to most necessary
> modules from any
> language that will support C module mix-ins, but the
> real issue
> becomes will your code compile from gcc without
> modification and (if
> you care) how much modification to get it to work
> with other cc
> versions.
>
> That said, most of what I do is more business logic
> critical than
> machine critical.  I do most of my work in php,
> perl, ruby and bash.
> I think it really depends on what you're trying to
> accomplish.  I wish
> you the best of luck in whatever direction you
> decide to go though.

Hmmm, I can and should learn C a little better. I'm
more of a business logic person, but I meddle with
other things too. I do a lot of architecture, but I
could translate that to thec technology once I
understand it better. Java would be a really easy
transition for me and PHP seems easy enough. (Except
my aversion to interpretted languages)

I keep seeing lots of stuff about Ruby lately.
Anything think it will be around for a while or fade away?

Shin zen ni rei
-j
Registered Linux user number 403109
  http://counter.li.org/