Changes to /etc/resolv.conf don't stick

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Mon Jan 23 13:18:04 MST 2006

On 1/23/06 11:54 AM, "Siri Amrit Kaur" <tigerflag at tigerflag.com> wrote:
>> Maybe /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf?
>>
>> If you don't see it there search for it:
>>  find /etc -name dhclient.conf -print
>
> Did the search, it didn't find anything. I don't have that file.

Okay, maybe PCLinuxOS doesn't use dhclient.  It might be using pump or
dhcpcd.  Sorry, I've never seen it.

> Sorry to be so stupid, but _where_ would I substitute the IP address? I don't
> understand the syntax, and that makes me really insecure about messing with
> this.

No worries.  Don't change ANYTHING until you understand what you are doing.
As I understand it, you are basically trying to override the bogus
name-servers being handed out by your Actiontec modem.  Ideally, you should
just correct the modem (but that's quite off-topic for this list).
Meanwhile, we are trying to use the "supersede" feature of dhclient to
ignore the name-server IP addresses you are learning from the modem during
DHCP lease renewal.

Let's start by figuring out what dhcp client you are using.  Try this:
 ps aux | grep dhc

Do you get any hits on that?

Also, check for hints in /var like this:
 find /var/run -name "dhc*"

Do you get any hits on this?

...Kevin