Changes to /etc/resolv.conf don't stick

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Mon Jan 23 11:03:24 MST 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 12:54 pm, Darrin Chandler kindly wrote:
> Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> >OK, now that I can post to the list again I wanted to ask if anyone could
> > tell me how to make permanent changes to my /etc/resolv.conf file. I had
> > to change the nameservers so that I can get system updates and access
> > webmail. But the changes don't stick and it keeps reverting to the old
> > nameservers. I'm not sure when the reversion happens or what's causing
> > it- it's not from rebooting because I haven't rebooted.
> >
> >FWIW, I'm running PCLinuxOS, which probably has a similar file structure
> > to Mandrake which it was originally based upon.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Siri Amrit
>
> Are you running a dhclient?

I dunno. I'm really ignorant about this stuff. I just have a box connected to
the internet by a Quest Actiontec DSL modem. According to tech support at
FastQ, the modem is using the wrong nameserver, or pointing to the wrong
nameserver, or something along those lines. He had me change the nameservers
in /etc/resolv.conf and everything worked great after that. But I think the
DSL modem is causing it to revert back to the old nameserver.

Siri Amrit
--
Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC
www.tigerflag.com