DNS Server - HOME

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Fri Jan 20 22:40:19 MST 2006

Never say it's impossible ;)  I do the very thing it sounds like you're
looking to do, at my own home.  I could be wrong, but... hey, it never
hurts to find out.

First off, I use Cox Internet, with a Linksys Router (Network Everywhere
NR041). Not the best of routers I've owned, but it works for the most
part.  The linksys router handles DHCP for internal IP addresses of
192.168.1.100 and higher:  Thus allowing me to assign static IP's using
192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.99.  The router itself is 192.168.1.1 and
it's external IP is grabbed via DHCP from Cox.

The fun part is, I have a fileserver, with a static internal IP of
192.168.1.2. It will never change, on purpose.  The server has BIND
installed (also known as "named").  I have it do name-to-ip DNS
resolving for most of my internal network. That is... 3 desktops, 2
laptops, a few gaming systems, a windows media computer, and perhaps a
few other things.  Friends come over, they can hook into my 8 port
switch, or bring a wireless device and they'll get a dynamic IP. Note
that, I do prefer my own desktops & laptops to use static IP's in my own
house... thus, servers are allowed 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.10,
desktops & laptops 192.168.1.11 through 192.168.1.20.  The rest are for
future use, and I doubt I'll need them.

After figuring out how I wanted to set them up, and with what IP's, I
configured BIND.  I won't get into that here, but... I will provide you
with slightly modified, yet basic BIND/named configurations to download
and peruse for your use.  They should work to give you a working example
of what I have here at my home.  By setting up a DNS server on my home
network, I have use of "int.domain", a fake, and internal domain name
with hostnames for each IP.  Anything else, the DNS server uses the Cox
connection to resolve it.  If my DNS server fails, my /etc/resolv.conf
file also includes Cox's DNS servers as a backup.

If you're interested in how I got it working, I would say check out my
config's, and look around.  Any questions beyond that, feel free to drop
me a line back here in the group, or privately.

Download URL:  http://www.phoenixwing.com/upload/named-home.tgz

Hope that helps,

  ~ Tony E.