O'reilly's learninglab worthwhile?

Gerard Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Wed Jan 18 21:41:25 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 20:56 -0700, Robert L Chavez wrote:
> Hey everyone, kinda new to the plug and been using Linux off and on
> for a little while now.
>
> Was just wondering if anyone has had any experience or heard any
> reviews about O'reilly's Learning lab for Linux/Unix Sysadmin online
> courses?  You can see the site at
> http://oreilly.useractive.com/courses/sysadmin.php3 , the prices are
> reasonable, and having University of Illinois backing it up isn't too
> shabby either.  But I've never taken an online course before and just
> wanted to hear what people would think of going down this road.  This
> would ideally be for becoming more proficient with Linux on my own,
> and possibly a resume spot down the road.  Currently I can get Fedora
> Core up and running as a dual boot, and after using gnome for a couple
> of months I feel pretty comfortable using Linux.  I just don't feel
> proficient; I still man, info, and google to get things working they
> way I would like.
>
> Thanks ~

The 4 courses are pretty basic level sysadmin stuff. I guess if you are
fairly new to this you would find it more worthwhile than I did. You do
do a few things like set up apache, and dns, and a couple of other
things where they have you download the source and build and configure
it on the system. I did the courses about a year ago and there was a
special on them at the time. I haven't attended other courses so I
couldn't say if there is something else out there that will give you
more bang for the buck at that level.

The supervisor for your course usually does a good job getting back to
you and answering any questions you might have, and grades the exercises
in a timely manner.