Report: Linux presentation in east Mesa

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Jan 18 20:56:38 MST 2006

Jerry Davis wrote:

> let me add my $0.02 here.
>
> these 30 or so people represent 20-30 people in their own groups.
> we have a BIG opportunity here. but it will take mentoring, and many hours (at
> least at first) of intense hand-holding of people who are only used to doing
> things one way - the windows way.
>
> if only 5 people in each of the 30 groups try linux, that represents 150
> people who need lots of help at first.
>
> we need real commitment here. but the gains would be TREMENDOUS. do you know
> how many seniors live (at least part time) in the phoenix area? lots, and
> they talk to one another! just think of what we could do here.
>
> i suggest that if we want to further the cause, we should be more proactive
> rather than passive about our help to them. saying RTFM will not suffice
> here.  I have direct experience with mentoring a "senior citizen", it takes
> time and effort and PATIENCE. sooner or later they will get it. and when they
> do we will be rewarded.
>
> i support what eric says about taking the install fest to them.
>
> putting up a list for this would be fine, but we need to be mentors.
> i for one volunteer.
>
> i hope this didn't come across as a rant, i just wanted to let you know what
> kind of commitment this will be.

First all who helped and attended this first "visit" with this group are
to be commended.  You are providing information and help to people you
don't know without monetary gain.  A noble thing, Linux-fan-boy
considerations aside.

I agree that the group should provide this (these?) groups assistance.
As always, it will be a personal judgment on the part of each PLUGger
how much time they can provide to this or any other efforts.
Personally, I am happy to provide knowledge and logistical support as I
can.  My commitments to PLUG are already booked but I will fill in
minutes as I can.

Like I always say:  Don't wait on PLUG to get things done.  Start doing
them and include PLUG along for the ride.  (So to speak.)

To all who take on assistance to these groups I only ask that you keep
the group informed of what is going on.  That way PLUGgers are aware
where and when they can offer help, asked for or spontaneously offered.

Alan