Linux Laptop

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Wed Jan 18 10:41:31 MST 2006

Josh Coffman wrote:
> If it comes down to about equal between FC and Ubuntu,
> go with FC since you're more familiar and will be
> supporting her.

I would agree with that.

>>Would her IP always be the same on a laptop?

As Josh mentioned in reply to my message you should configure the laptop
(or the gateway box if it will) to use a dynamic DNS service like
dyndns.org.

Basically, you create an account on one of these sites.  Then install
ddclient on your linux box, configure it with the account and it will
watch for IP address changes ... and let the DNS service know to update
the IP address for the domain name.  So you will end up with some free
DNS name usually where you can choose the first part of the hostname but
only have a limited set of domains to choose from.  SOmething like
carlsgrandma.dyndns.org.

Then you just end up sshing into that.

There are lots of these services with a variety of features, many of
which are free.

Austin