Linux Laptop

Carl Parrish lists at pcl-consulting.com
Wed Jan 18 09:00:20 MST 2006

Okay my aunt, who is in her 60's, heard about Linux on a PBS program.
She knew I was involved with it so she asked me to install it for her.
So far we've purchased a IBM (or really Leveno) Thinkpad for her. I'm
guessing that's probably the best laptop to start with. (for Linux). I'm
a little gun shy about laptops because I once tried installing on a
Gateway and just found that it was impossible. I have successfully
gotten Fedora on a Toshiba however. Okay basically my concerns are 1)
getting the wireless networking going. 2) making sure that I can ssh
into the box. 3) Get AOL working with it. She lives in Michigan so
everything that has to be done hands on has to be done during the next
two weeks whiles she's here. She's already used to Thunderbird, firefox,
and Open Office. But she's currently using AOL (and she's scared there
is no way to keep up with her contacts if she leaves). Anyone know if
AOL's client will work with CrossOver? She'll have high speed Internet
access while she's here and wants to set it up at her house., but still
will keep AOL. So any resources words of advise or known dangers would
be good.

Thanks,

Carl P.