Report: Linux presentation in east Mesa

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Jan 18 02:17:42 MST 2006

der.hans wrote:
> moin, moin,
>
> I got the following from someone else:
>
> ###
> I have had a request from the Mesa Senior Center to present information
> on Linux and linux programs that can be use to a Mesa Computer Club on the
> 16th of January.  I have been trying to reach you and Alan to see if you
> could come and do a presentation with me on Linux OS for this group.  As
> far as I know they are living in a senior park on Elsworth just south of
> Baseline in Mesa and they are planning for Linux to be their subject of
> interest for a meeting scheduled 16th of January from about 7:00 pm until
> 9:00 pm.  The contact point is Richard Nash at the Mesa Senior Center.
> ###
>
> If you're interested in giving a presentation next week please let me know
> and I'll put you in contact with the person who made the request of me.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Sorry for the delay, but here's my report and follow-up of the event.

<report>
The meeting took place at Los Palmas, a senior (if I can use that word
w/out offending anyone) community on Ellsworth just south of Baseline.
Ralph Prowell, Jerry Davis, Ben Trussel and I (your humble corespondent)
were on hand representing PLUG. There were 28 or so attendees.

Our host Bud Rolley began the meeting by welcoming all the attendees. He
explained that this was an inaugural meeting, the purpose of which was
hopefully to establish some direction for the group. As such, the
meeting was very open ended, with welcomed user participation. Little
did we (the PLUG presenters) know what was in store.

Bud turned the meeting over to Ralph, who gave a nice overview of Linux
and GNU. Ben then talked a bit about open source. There was some
discussion (brought about by questions from the attendees) about hackers
and crackers with Ralph and Ben. Jerry chimed in with an explanation of
how user accounts protect the system files from malicious activity. The
subject of Apache vs IIS was discussed. The question of drive letters
was asked, and the linux file system was touched on relative to drives.
Jerry then took the helm and talked about available desktops: gnome and kde.

After various q&a, the meeting came to discuss what it is this group
wants to accomplish. This group (they don't have a name or identity yet,
although one was suggested) represents 30+ computer user groups in the
valley, composed of various senior centers (mobile home parks, if you
will) throughout the east valley. Thus I began (late in the meeting) to
realize that this group is the tip of an iceberg, as user groups go.

There seemed to be a lot of interest in linux, with very little
knowledge of what linux is. They appeared to discover that they are
primarily interested in (FOSS) applications, more so than in linux
specifically. IMHO, what this group (of groups) is looking for is
training and information.

At the end of the meeting Bud asked that everyone go back to their
individual clubs and come up with a document (emailed to Bud) specifying
what it is they want to accomplish from this group. That document is due
in 3 weeks or so, and Bud will digest the results. There will be another
meeting February 20 (3rd Monday of the month) to move forward. PLUG was
requested to attend, and I, your humble corespondent, volunteered. ;)

Everyone's participation is to be commended, especially given the ad
hoc, preliminary nature of the meeting. I think that people left with a
positive attitude. 20 or so Ubuntu CD sets departed with attendees.
</report>