How to fix /boot/grub/menu.lst

Gerard Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Wed Jan 18 00:27:46 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 17:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:
[snip]
> > ==========
> > $ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst (looks like this):
> > default saved
> > timeout 15
> > color cyan/blue white/blue
> > foreground ffffff
> > background 2f5178
> > # splashimage /boot/grub/mepis.xpm.gz
> >
> > # inserted the next lines 0512-30 ======= THIS DOES NOT WORK
> > title Mandriva Win4Lin test at hda6 - 2.6.12-12
> > kernel (hd0,5)/boot/win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk root=/dev/hda6
> > initrd (hd0,5)/boot/win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk.img
[snip]
> ----
> sort of hard to tell since when you gave us the directory listing
> for /boot, it didn't actually include the hd(0,5) but rather hd(0,0) so
> it's not possible to tell if you have an initrd for the boot.
>
> I don't know for certain but I don't think you are supposed to have a
> space in the 'title' for a grub boot (Mandriva Win4Lin) and wonder if
> chosen, if it doesn't just boot the other Mandriva boot.
>
> Craig

It is my understanding that grub doesn't care what comes after the title
keyword on that line, it is just what gets put on the menu list for this
entry. Here is what info grub has to say:

13.1.5 title

 -- Command: title name ...
     Start a new boot entry, and set its name to the contents of the
     rest of the line, starting with the first non-space character.