new in town

darin at deru.net darin at deru.net
Thu Jan 12 13:51:08 MST 2006

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:24:52 -0700
> From: Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com>
> Subject: Re: new in town
> To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
>
> JD Austin wrote:
>
> > How do you use Qwest DSL with no isp?  How do you get IP's?
>

> I don't have static IPs at home, I just use dhcp. Qwest servers dhcp and=20
> gets me on the internet and that's enough for me. You could probably get=20
> a static with no ISP if you asked.
>
> Since I have email, web hosting, etc., on my own, I don't have any use=20
> for an ISP.
>
> --=20
> Darrin Chandler
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com
> http://www.stilyagin.com/

Hey Darrin,

You have an ISP, it's called Qwest. :-) Your ip addresses and the
access to the net is via Qwest's IP backbone.

For some people that's good enough, some others want different
(better?) network access via other IP carriers.

I have to admit, as an ISP that offers IP services over Qwest DSL,
it's a bit hard being competitive with Qwest when they offer access at
$9.99 per month (or free if you do xyz thing).

So we have to compete on other things.  Ie - offer better net
connectivity - we have access to the Qwest IP backbone and 6
others... If Qwest is having IP problems locally, you won't notice
with us like you would with them (not to say there are lots of
problems).  If you like better (the best?) Usenet access, then you'll
want to come to us.

:-)

Darin