Resizing NTFS fs

plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon Jan 9 22:42:15 MST 2006

In article <43C33C43.90302 at cox.net> Victor Odhner writes:
> Question about #4 and #5:  The way I read this is that the "d" command in
> cfdisk will delete the partition and merge it with adjacent free space; then
> "n" will make the old partition valid but with a new partition size ...
> but the
> NTFS filesystem will still be its original size.  So using ntfsresize
> fixes the
> filesystem to fill the partition.  Am I on the right track?

Precisely.  As long as the beginning block number doesn't change
between the old and new partition, you're OK.

> I would first reformat the target disk with XP and look at it with cfdisk
> to note the correct geometry and partition size, so that I could get back
> to those numbers after the copy operation.

OK, you could do that, but I haven't bothered.  I guess if you're really
paranoid, you could boot into WinXP after the initial copy and use the
XP partitioning tool (I can't remember what it's called), to grow
the partition, then reboot into knoppix to do the ntfsresize.

> Thanks, wish me luck!

Indeed.  Good luck Vic.

-Dale