M$ considers Linux on legacy hardware

Jason Hayes hh at hayz.ws
Mon Jan 9 11:06:32 MST 2006

I don't know where I have ever heard Linux supporters saying that a new,
boxed version of the latest Linux distro's could run on legacy hardware.
However, that is the way that the folks in Redmond are trying to paint
the statement that Linux can run on almost any hardware.

Funny thing is that even with their attempts to 'disprove' that claim,
their own tests show that Knoppix and Slackware did pretty well, as they
could run on a Pentium 233, 32 MB ram and a 2 gig HDD (with X intact and
operating).

Even Mandrake 10 was clearly up and running on that early pentium system
and only had a driver problem for its x-server. (Anyone out there ever
had a driver problem with Windows?) A quick change to the vesa driver
from the command line would have probably solved that issue and had
Mandrake up and running as well.

You can see the article here -

Jason Hayes