Short notice speaker request

Gene Holmerud geneous at cox.net
Fri Jan 6 18:47:36 MST 2006

Sure:

It's for a DOE program to encourage middle and high school students to
study math and science.  Some 15 years ago DOE realized a lot of their
engineers and scientists were not far from retirement, etc.  So, to help
avert the mess we're in now, they started this program.

Since it's a lot like the College Bowl from the 1950's (slightly like
Jeopardy now), it needs clocks and BuzzIn systems.  After 12 years in
Arizona, those have been failing, so I and a team are upgrading the
equipment. Please browse to <http://members.cox.net/geneousproducts/>
for more than you want to know.  Some photos are at
<photos.yahoo.com/geneousproducts/> including some taken by Joseph
Sinclair at the Eastside Xmas meting.

The guts are a Microchip PICmicro controller driving a handful of ICs,
LEDs, etc.  My plan is to connect it, via USB, to a laptop running my
clock program, but right now we need to get 9 more "stand-alone"
versions built this month.

Thanks,
Gene

PS:  The 9 we're now building are fully wired for USB (I cloned
Microchip's USB Demo board), just the firmware only runs the
BuzzIn/LockOut logic.  Since the PICmicros can be programmed
"in-circuit" upgrades are not a problem.