Debian update errors

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 22:41:47 MST 2006

Patrick Fleming, EA wrote:

>Victor,
>I found that running apt-get update *twice* fixes most of my apt-get
>update "problems" and that's what the last lines of your log seems to
>indicate:
>"W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems"
>Then run apt-get upgrade... that's what works for me anyway. I'm a
>Debian Noob too.

Thanks.  I went to Google and learned about the sources.list file and
"upgrade-dist".

I had Kanotix 2005-03 and some sources had gone stale.  I downloaded the
latest
from the Kanotix site and then did the full upgrade ...

Hans suggested:
 > You might also want to switch to .us based servers if your friend is
here.

Yes, the Kanotix sources.list seems to be largely European repositories,
but this
did not slow me down, partly because I did it late at night.  Took quite
a while,
but it really cleaned everything up except for one or two packages I
didn't care
about.  But I should look for more local sources I guess, and I should also
concentrate on stable stuff.  A lesson for another day . . .

Oops, my CentOS that I'm on at the moment can't read the Debian-created
reiserfs
volume where I dropped my notes on this process, so I can't show the
details here.

Thanks again,

Vic