Debian update errors

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Wed Jan 4 08:13:01 MST 2006

I'm setting up a Debian system for a friend.  I started with the full
version of
KANOTIX-2005-03 (I just missed the release of 04).  This has gone very
smoothly and I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

I've run into two problems in trying to update the software, and since I
have very little Debian experience I need some advice.

When I did apt-get update, and again when I did apt-get install, I got
warnings about indeces not found.  Apparently some were found,
and the upgrade downloaded something like 19 MB of stuff.  The
upgrade returned an error code (1).  The full output is posted at
<http://members.cox.net/vodhner/upgrade.log>.

My questions on this are:  (a) should I configure something so that the
missing files or repositories will be found?  (b) did anything actually get
installed or upgraded?  (c) how do I complete or restart this update?

Second problem was with a "klik" install of Firefox 1.5.  It failed,
something
to do with chrome, and left a file firefox.cmg (compressed rom?) on my
desktop.
If I click on that file I get the error again, but Firefox 1.5 comes
up.  My old
1.0.4 (or whatever) installation remains in place.  How can I complete the
1.5 installation?

One thing I learned was to do the klik install from Konqueror so it would
not conflict with Firefox.  Having attempted it from Firefox the first time,
I may have left some stuff lying around that might be causing a problem.

Thanks,

Vic