Dual Boot Question

Donn dlshumway at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:01:59 MST 2006

On 1/3/06, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

> I have a machine running Windows 2000. I want to add a second hard drive
> for
> Linux so I can keep the Windows 2000 drive for games and do some real work
> on
> the Linux drive. :-). Actually, my daughter wants the games, and I want
> her
> to do some real work on the Linux drive. I tried running the games under
> wine
> and they do not work.
>
> I have setup dual boot drives when both Linux and Windows are on the same
> drive with a common MBR (details are sketchy - it was a while ago).
> However,
> it went very smoothly and flawlessly, so I have a lot of confidence that I
> can do it again! Where fools rush in.....
>
> Can grub handle booting across drives? Is the solution to my problem as
> simple
> as (1) configuring the Windows drive as a secondary (slave) drive, (2)
> adding
> the new drive as the master drive, (3) installing Debian on the new drive,
> and (4) telling Grub (when it asks me) that I also want the option to boot
> off the Windows drive as well?
>
> If not, then any suggestions??
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Mark Phillips
> Phillips Marketing, Inc
> mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
> 602 524-0376
> 480 945-9197 fax

I'll just throw in my two cents...
I have installed many distributions to dual boot with Windows NT, 2000, and
XP, and the only thing you need to do is 1) Install Windows FIRST! (FYI-I do
not recommend changing the master/slave settings on your HD's after windows
is installed - just leave them as they are)
2) Install Linux on your secondary drive and make sure you install the boot
loader to the MBR on the primary drive. This has always worked in many
configurations.

Windows insists on being installed first due to it's windows-centric boot
loader. Grub or LILO however, are much more liberal minded and will see that
Windows is installed and add it to their list of available OS's.

I hope this helps, and let us know how it all goes.

--
Donn
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental