How to fix /boot/grub/menu.lst - part 2 of 2 parts

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 2 18:10:48 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 20:01 -0500, joe wrote:
> Thanks very much, Craig.
>
> Just to be sure that I am understanding you correctly,
> are you saying that while booted in to the mandriva
> partition, as root, at the command line, I just type this:
>
> mkinitrd initrd-win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk.img win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk
>
> ... and the system will (or should) reboot to the win4lin kernel?
----
I'm thinking yes. I know on Red Hat / Fedora systems, you need an initrd
image to boot and judging from your grub.conf, Mandriva is no different.
The above command should create the initrd image.
----

> Then, I'm assuming that if this works, I'll need to build a
> new /boot/grub/menu.lst in the mandriva partition to replace
> the one currently being used in the mepis partition. Is that
> right?  I know, one step at a time, but just trying to get
> this all in focus. ;))
----
interesting point - my thinking is that the only time that this is
referenced is at the original boot which I am assuming means that
your /dev/hda grub is set to pull this info from hd(0,0) - the /boot
volume from your original install (Mepis?) and I can't see the need to
have it all duplicated in the Mandriva /boot hd(0,5). In fact, I am
thinking that having multiple '/boot' partitions is a source of
confusion and I probably would have wanted it all consolidated within
one boot partition because I am not smart enough to keep it all
straight. Thus, copying grub.lst from the one to the other shouldn't be
necessary but it shouldn't hurt anything either.

Craig