gnucash vs Quickbooks

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Sun Feb 26 22:19:01 MST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 07:49 pm, Carl Parrish kindly wrote:
> Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> >I've never used either, but need to learn Quickbooks for a side-job. I
> > don't have a Windows partition, but I can get gnucash. If I learned how
> > to do the basics in gnucash, do y'all think I could find may way around
> > Quickbooks?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Siri Amrit
>
> Not really. The accounting princples are pretty much the same but
> gnucash is double entry, quickbooks is some weird hybrid. I'm using
> quickbooks online now, used gnucash for about 4 years. Other than the
> fact that they both enter finacial info and the name of the reports are
> generally the same they are very differnt tools. You can get quickbook
> running on Linux with CrossOver (proably with Wine as well). My personal
> .02 cents , if you know what you're doing gnucash is *way* faster
> (meaning you can get what you need done faster) but if you don't know
> something quickbooks is a lot more forgiving (and has *tons* of online
> help etc...).

Thank you, Carl, that's very helpful. I just need to get familiar with
Quickbooks. How do you use it online? Do you need windows to do so? Is there
a way to use an online tutorial?

I don't know how to use Wine or Crossover, and if I go that route I'll have to
buy the Quickbooks software, too. All this for a job I don't even know if I
want.

Siri Amrit
--
Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC