Forced obsolescence in Linux

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Sun Feb 26 21:51:18 MST 2006

Yup, it's getting so you're out of luck if you want to run
Linux on old computers, a recent Slashdot posting to
the contrary . . . unless I want to get into the ALSA cvs
repository and spend a few hours in hopeful hacking ...
but that's what I do for a living, and we should be past
that for a driver (snd-sb16 for Sound Blaster 16 ISA)
that used to work and is now orphaned even in distros
that used to have it.

Just felt like venting.  I'll do the cvs thing when I have a
few hours of cultural time (ha!).  And my friend calls me
every few days asking if his computer is ready yet . . .
No, he can't cut into his ramen-noodles budget to buy a
new sound card.