IBM Probes Microsoft's Relationship with SCO

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 25 20:31:58 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 19:53 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:

> Craig,
>
> 1. You said in many words what I said in a few. Thanks.
---
I doubt that - especially now that you've delivered your words in bulk
---
> 2. Let me tell you what this has to do with linux.
>
> > Secondly, Microsoft has basically vanquished all comers in the Desktop
> > OS and Office productivity suite software categories to the point that
> > their profits of these 2 categories alone allow them to subsidize huge
> > losses in their attempts to gain a stranglehold control over markets
> > such as handhelds, phones, gaming consoles, on demand video, digital
> > rights management and more.
>
> This is the crucial statement. This has everything to do with linux (or more
> particularly FLOSS). Microsoft's stated goal by Bill Gates and the ape-like
> man (Balmer), is "Microsoft Everywhere". This is a fact - not surmise.
>
> Because Microsoft has sown up the Desktop and the Office Productivity suite
> they charge mucho bucks for them, and use the profits to get into
> "everywhere" else. Even though linux is a good desktop (I have been using it
> for years), and OOo is a good office suite (which I have been using for
> years), and Samba NOW does a good job of interoperability with Windows. This
> is not guaranteed in the future if Microsoft has anything to do with it. Wait
> for when microsoft's new file system comes out. Will it be compatible with any
> open source projects? I'll bet no.
----
Samba has already been working with Vista pre-releases.

The problem with where you are going with this is that you have allowed
your judgments interfere with the facts.

I've been using a Linux desktop virtually exclusively for years too - so
what? Would I put someone who's never used a computer before who simply
wanted to use a computer and for whom, money is not the object? No...I
would probably put them on Windows on a non-admin account with
auto-updates of Windows/AV, etc. because *** my opinion *** is that the
Windows XP desktop is easier for unskilled users than GNOME/KDE/Mac OS X
etc.
----

> Like it or not, we have to work with Microsoft, but conversely Microsoft does
> not have to work with us. Why? They are predators, convicted monopolists, and
> they have NOT changed their business tactics since the old days -- it has
> just gone more underground -- READ harder to prove.
>
> As long as Microsoft continues to BE a monopoly and continues to charge
> horrendous amounts for their cash cows (because they HAVE NO COMPETITION) so
> that they can leverage all the other ventures to make their stated goal
> happen, we in FLOSS will take a back seat in this country.
----
This isn't about front seat/back seat. The country has already given
them the 'Get Out of Jail, Free' card from the Monopoly game. They will
continue to do what they continue to do because they can. I'll do what I
do and I rarely see a reason to put a Windows server into a clients
office and having Linux based desktops in a corporate environment has
become an option.
----

> Other countries are trying their best to not be shackled by microsoft, but it
> is hard when one of the world's richest companies can foil those attempts by
> any means necessary.
----
way out on a limb conjecture. There are some countries in Europe and in
South America that encourage the governmental use of open source
products. You simply take the issue to an extreme.
----

> I believe strongly in FLOSS, and I believe also that our government and
> governments around the world should be biased in favor of FLOSS and not
> microsoft until PARITY in the market is reached, and THEN and only then let
> us duke it out in the marketplace based upon feature/benefits.
----
interesting opinion but of no factual basis and very much
'un-capitalistic'. People will choose what benefits them and when it's
to people's benefit to not pay Microsoft tax for their OS, their
productivity suite, for their computers, I assure you that they won't.
Ultimately people figure out the right path.
----

> Some wise person once said "you are either for me, or against me". There is no
> middle ground in this battle. And if you don't think this is a battle for the
> mind and control of everyone on this planet that owns a personal computer you
> are very much mistaken.
----
I would prefer to just let this slide but you are so emphatic about
it...most people simply do not care, they just want to use a computer.
They don't see themselves as having a role in this at all.
----

> This is more than I've ever said on this subject, but I hope you understand
> that this HAS EVERYTHING to do with linux/FLOSS.
----
no - what you wrote above is your opinion of the facts which really
isn't the same thing as the facts.

Worse yet, you really didn't prove that any of this had anything
whatsoever to do with Linux. You proved that your hatred of things
Microsoft causes you to want government(s) to shackle Microsoft so that
Linux usage can prosper. Interesting concept but I think it is of little
consequence since the market decides what they want to use based on
their perceptions, some of which I actually agree with but of course,
things like desktop usability  and productivity suite differences
between WinXP/Mac OS X/KDE/GNOME are closing.

What I find disappointing is your unstated premise that Linux exists to
blunt, take over or in some way compete with Microsoft, Windows, Office
or simply everything Redmond. It doesn't - it's a tool to perform a job.
Nothing more, nothing less. I admit that there is a percentage of Linux
users that share your viewpoint but it's still misguided. The issue of
Microsoft's monopoly is a governmental issue - just like other
monopolies such as Oil, Banking, etc. not a Linux issue.

Craig