Remove Win dual boot?

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Sat Feb 25 12:52:10 MST 2006

Assuming that you are using grub as boot loader, this is what I would do:

0) Confirm that you have a way (emergency boot/recovery disk, smart boot
manager, system recovery CD, etc.) to get into your Linux partition if
you get Murphy-ed. Test that you actually know how to use it.

1) "su -" to root

2) cd /boot/grub

3) Make a backup copy of grub.conf (some distros use a different name,
e.g. "menu")

4) Pull up grub.conf in a pure text editor (vi or ???) and delete the
entries for the Windows partition.

5) Reboot and confirm that your Linux installation is alive and well.

6) If not, recover via 0) above and try again.

7) If OK, use fdisk or qparted (sp?) to delete old windows partition.

8) At this point, what you do depends on how you want to use the new
space. One suggestion:
	a) Log in as or "su -" to root
	b) Create an ext3 partition in the new space.
	c) Mount it on a temporary mount point.
	d) Back up /home.
	e) Copy the contents of /home to new space.
	f) ->Carefully<- verify that EVERYTHING copied correctly.
	g) umount new space.
	h) Delete contents of /home.
	i) Mount new space as /home.
	j) Modify /etc/fstab so that new /home mounts auto-magically on
	   boot.

-mj-