adding extension to apt-installed PHP

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue Feb 21 08:35:33 MST 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 12:45 AM, der.hans wrote:

> Am 17. Feb, 2006 schwätzte alex at crackpot.org so:
>
>> I'm running Debian testing/unstable.  I've recently upgraded to
>> PHP 5.1 via apt.
>> I'd like to start using PDO (PHP Data Objects, object-oriented
>> database
>> abstraction), but I'm not sure how to get it installed/configured
>> on my system.
>>

> Check if there's something like dh-make-perl for PHP. I don't see
> one, but
> I'm not looking very hard...
>
> The README.Debian in /usr/share/doc/ used to list what modules were
> includeded.
>
> The source package will have the rules/ files, which will have
> configuration info used for building the package.
>
> Can you grab the module with the PEAR browser ( or whatever they
> call it
> )?
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

http://pecl.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=6117

As it turns out, the published instructions on php.net don't yeild a
working PDO.  php.net recommends compiling it as a shared library,
but when you do this it become impossible to also add the database-
specific PDO drivers.  So you can have PDO, but it can't connect to
any databases!  The only thing I've heard that works at the moment is
to compile PDO into PHP statically.  (I've also tried installing PDO
via pear/pecl, but that's also broken - see the bug report in the
link above if interested.)

I've downloaded the PHP source via apt so I can do this, just haven't
had time to experiment with it yet.  (First time I've gotten source
this way.)  Hopefully this will be fixed in the not-too-distant future.

thanks,
alex