Installing Oracle

Tony Wasson ajwasson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 09:19:56 MST 2006

On 2/19/06, Rick Tadra <rtadra at cox.net> wrote:
> I need to install Oracle 9i or 10 on Red Hat Enterprise 4 and Debian
> I have heard the process is real buggy with the Oracle installation displaying
> numerous error messages
> which require updates from Oracle which I am told you can only get if you are
> Oracle support.
>
> Anyone out there with experience installing Oracle on Red Hat and Debian?
>
> Fred

I have installed Oracel 10i on RedHat. I had trouble the first time
because I don't like to read instructions. So... I restarted the
installation and got most of it working the 2nd time around. The
database worked fine but some of the administrative extras still
didn't function. I figured if I reinstalled a 3rd time I would have
gotten everything working.

It is important to read each option before continuing as there isn't
always a "back button". Oracle made some entries in my /etc/inittab
which surprised me.

A co-worker managed to install his copy of Oracle 10i on RedHat EL 3
with less fuss than I had, but he's also installed Oracle before and
is a bit brighter than I am about reading all the messages...

Hope this helps!
Tony