/dev/zero

sean sean at emvis.net
Sun Feb 19 11:57:20 MST 2006

my fondest memories of /dev/zero involve warezing to ratio sites
wherein, eg, you upload 1 byte of data and get to download 10 bytes.
you would create a large file full of zeroes so it compresses nicely for
fast transfer and upload it to turn ratio sites into leech sites just
like that.

zero and random can also be used in a pinch to test devices for
thoroughput and reliability if you don't have better tools available.

zeroing out a hard drive 7 times i'm told is a good way to prevent most
people from recovering data from the disk.  i don't know how accurate
this is anymore with newer technologies.

--sean