Questions about responding to Pings

Anthony aboynes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 11:31:44 MST 2006

Not responding to pings is more "security by obscurity" than anything
useful.  You can still be port scanned if ping replies are disabled,
and you can still be subject to a denial of service attack.  And of
course, if you WERE running exploitable services for the outside
world, they could still be connected to.  Blocking pings can also make
 it harder to do basic troubleshooting, particularly in larger
networks.  It probably won't cause you much grief to block ping
replies, but it won't gain you much in the way of being more secure.

Anthony