/dev/zero

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Feb 19 11:31:09 MST 2006

Mike wrote:

>That was fun! I read about a file today called /dev/zero that contains an
>endless stream of zeros. This piqued my interest: "What  does this look
>like," I thought. So I typed 'jpico /dev/zero' and guess what happened!
>NOTHING.
>
>The enter went to the next line but nothing happened. No pretty colors and
>prompt.
>
>What use is this device?

/dev/zero won't be much fun with jpico. Try /dev/random instead. That
should make jpico *very* happy. ;)

These things won't be any use to you as a user. As a developer, sys
admin, etc., it can be handy to have a device give you an endless stream
of data. For network there's the chargen service.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |