Questions about responding to Pings

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Sun Feb 19 11:03:51 MST 2006

I'd like to learn about Pings. I did a port scan test and all my ports are in
stealth mode, but my system responded to pings and the test results said that
was a security risk. If that's true, how do I make it not respond to pings?
Is there a SIMPLE way to do this? I'm scared to go mucking about in iptables.

A little info on my setup:
I'm using PCLOS (based on Mandrake) and the Shorewall firewall, on a
standalone box with a DSL modem/router. I'm not running any servers. I have
the software firewall in the modem turned off because it was screwing some
things up.

Thanks,

Siri Amrit
--