adding extension to apt-installed PHP

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Fri Feb 17 22:58:32 MST 2006

Quoting Kevin Brown <kevin_brown at qwest.net>:

> > In a more general question, how can I find out how the PHP I have was
> > compiled?
>
> vi index.php
>
> <?
> phpinfo();
> ?>
>
> :wq
>
> load index.php up in your browser through your webserver.
>
> e.g. http://localhost/index.php

Thanks, but phpinfo() doesn't list the compilation options in this case.  (I
have seen it do this on some RedHat systems, so I'm not sure if that's a Debian
thing or what.)

So far, I've downloaded the PHP 5.1 source and compiled the PDO extension.  That
worked just fine, and it's enabled.  (And listed in phpinfo().)  But it's not
much use yet, because PDO requires a driver for each specific database type you
want to work with.  So... I'm trying to get the pdo_mysql.so extension to
compile, and I'm having more troubles.

The first time I tried to configure it
(/usr/local/src/php-5.1.2/ext/pdo_mysql/configure), I got this error :
>configure: error: Cannot find MySQL header files under

That was fixed with : 'apt-get install libmysqlclient14-dev'.  Running
./configure again got me this :
>configure: error:
>You've configured extension pdo_mysql, which depends on extension pdo,
>but you've either not enabled pdo, or have disabled it.

Now I'm stumped, because pdo is installed and enabled.  I assume this means that
the pdo_mysql configure script must be looking for it in the wrong place?  This
is strange, because 'configure' also said :

> checking for PHP extension directory... /usr/lib/php5/20051025

and I can see that pdo.so is in that directory.

># ls -l /usr/lib/php5/20051025/total 276
>-rw-r--r--  1 root root  45160 2006-01-17 23:50 mysql.so
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 226282 2006-02-17 21:04 pdo.so

Any idea what I do next?

thanks,
alex