Active Directory and Kerberos authentication - Help?! (fwd)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Feb 15 16:21:11 MST 2006

Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu wrote:

>Not sure how to tell, the Windows box is authenticating, and I believe in a
>2003/XP environment it must be authenticating via Kerberos.  I suppose I can
>boot off of knopix and try that.

Just a shot in the dark. A bit of Googling came up with
http://lilly.csoft.net/~vdebaere/handleiding/samba-activedirectory/index_en.html,
which says...

--------------/CUT/--------------------

In my case everything went ok, but there are a few commonly encountered
error messages:

    *

      kinit: krb5_get_init_creds: unable to reach any KDC in realm
      SAMPLEDOMAIN.INVALID

      The kerberos libraries were unable to find the KDC for the
      SAMPLEDOMAIN.INVALID realm. Check your /etc/resolv.conf settings.
      Make sure your Active Directory PDC is above all other entries. In
      case you don't want to mess with your nameserver settings, create
      a /etc/krb5.conf file with these contents:

[libdefaults]
	default_realm = SAMPLEDOMAIN.INVALID

[realms]
	SAMPLEDOMAIN.INVALID = {
		kdc = controller.sampledomain.invalid
	}

[domain_realms]
	.controller.sampledomain.invalid = SAMPLEDOMAIN.INVALID

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |