<soupnazi> NO HD for you!

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Feb 15 12:40:21 MST 2006

Technomage said:
> looks to me like big content wants to make sure we can't play anything
> without
> their permission.
> at this point, only pirated stuff or home made content will work after
> this. :

Confession first: I did not read the linked article.  I don't need to.
The following is my now canned response to discussions about DRM,
elimination of fair use, etc.  I have used it in several discussions about
this topic in different places and will use it here.

If I cannot do with the content what I want to do with the content, I will
not buy the content. If I cannot buy equipment that will let me do what I
want with the content, I will not buy the equipment. DRM cracked or not,
if the products (content and content players) restrict me from doing what
I want, the producers will lose me as a customer.

There are vast numbers of ways to spend my time that I will not sacrifice
my freedom at the alter of entertainment. Maybe I will end up in the
minority from the mindless masses. That's my choice. But they
(entertainment industry companies) face two dilemas getting this to come
about.

1. The content producers and content player companies will always be at
odds. The producers want more enforced control but the player companies
know that less control will increase sales. This will not change. Even
Sony's movie and music arms can't fully bring the electronic side in line.

2. Even "average" users expect to be able to move content around and watch
it without having to jump through hoops.  No one I know, for example,
prefers to buy a song that can only be played on one computer and not
moved to a player or a new computer like some music services do.

I, therefore, feel pretty comfortable that full control DRM will not
succeed in the marketplace. This is why those that want it are trying to
get laws passed to mandate it.  I will always actively fight all such
laws.

In this context, if that means I cannot have HD (High Definition video and
TV) on my terms, I will not have HD.  I have better things to do with my
time and money than to jump through hoops and pay over and over just for
entertainment.

Alan