gnucash

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:40:34 MST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:09:12 -0500, bmike1 wrote:

> well, I thought to myself that I would use kmymoney2 instead of gnucash. What
> a confusing program!
> How should I get gnucash?

yum install gnucash

I'm currently using 1.8.12 for an astronomy club.  Read the gnucash docs
about how double-entry bookkeeping works, otherwise you'll make a mess of
things.  But once you get used to it most transaction become trivial.
Only the transactions where a member has a receipt for reimbursement,
wants to apply this towards dues, a magazine renewal, and the remainder
as a check will cause to to think a minute (all these entries add up to
zero in double-entry bookkeeping).

I was treasurer of that club during 2002-2003 and used gnucash throughout
that period.  I even had to build my own RPMs as this was before Fedora
Extras (and I had to test some fixes to bugs I reported, too).

I'm hoping the 1.9.x series goes fairly quickly (switching to gtk2).

	-Paul