Setting up a split VPN client on Linux

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Tue Feb 14 22:48:34 MST 2006

Thanks Craig.  That was exactly what I needed.

One note for anyone else needing this:
The instructions on the site are very clear, except for one slight issue.
Some Windows VPN's have some problems with default authentication.
If you connect with verbose options and get an error "unknown authentication type 13" that prevents you from connecting, you have to put an extra parameter in the peer file for that tunnel  "refuse-eap".
The instructions neglect this parameter, and searching the website results in lots of hits where people with the problem are not helped.  I finally found the answer on another site after a google search.

Once I got past that little issue (and realized I have to run all of the initialization commands by hand as root or under sudo), I got connected and can now perform some of the constant maintenance chores their servers require (isn't windows grand?) from the pleasant environs of my Linux workstation.

==Joseph++