Kubuntu setup

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Sun Feb 12 21:30:27 MST 2006

Joseph Sinclair wrote:

>Puppy        http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
>DS Linux     http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
>Beatrix      http://www.watsky.net/
>Feather      http://featherlinux.berlios.de/about.htm
>Dyne:bolic   http://www.dynebolic.org/
>VLOS         http://desktop.vidalinux.com/
>Slackware    http://www.slackware.org/
>Mepis        http://www.mepis.org/
>Gentoo       http://www.gentoo.org/
>Goodgoat     http://www.goodgoat.com/distro/
>Debian       http://www.debian.org/
>Suse         http://www.suse.com/us/index.html
>CentOS       http://www.centos.org/
>Fedora       http://fedora.redhat.com/
>OpenBSD      http://www.openbsd.org/
>FreeBSD      http://www.freebsd.org/

Wow.  Thanks, Joseph!  I already have a Puppy download so
I'll burn that, and I'm downloading dyne:bolic.  My
"customer" is mainly interested in Internet radio, so
multimedia emphasis sounds hopeful.  (But dyne:bolic is
also about *creating* multimedia content.  Cool.)

I've tried a few of the others but may plug them in again
to review why I rejected them.

Rather than trying downloading drivers etc. I will first
see if a more friendly distro is the answer.  I'll also
try a new CentOS that I happen to have.  That's what I
use on my modern home and office machines, but I doubt
it's as good for the old stuff.

But I guess it's also time for me to learn about Universe
and Multiverse, and learn how to configure different
repositories for Debian.

Thanks again,

Vic