DVDWritter and Slackware

Gerard Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Fri Feb 10 18:31:43 MST 2006

What kernel are you running (uname -r)? You don't see a device
corresponding to the writer at all? @cdrom is a link to the actual
device for the cdrom, which is probably something along the lines
of /dev/hda depending on the order in which the BIOS detected them.

I know that back in the 2.4 kernel time frame if you had a ide burner
you needed to have ide-scsi emulation either compiled into the kernel
or loaded as a module. 2.6 kernels don't have that issue.

Do you see anything in dmesg output that identifies the drive. Perhaps
something like this:

Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: SONY DVD RW DRU-700A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: ASUS CD-S520/A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)