apt-get not working getting an error installing just about any package

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Feb 10 18:10:44 MST 2006

Am 10. Feb, 2006 schwätzte Jim B so:

> I am running woody but since I am running unstable would it be a problem to
> now go to stable and then use pinning?
>
> Would going to sarge be a fix or would it just cause different problems?

That bug report I pointed out said that you should move to sarge first,
then move to testing or unstable if you need to. As always, stay with
stable if you can.

> At this point if I try to install any package I get the following error.

The bug report responses made it seem like going to stable will fix that
error.

ciao,

der.hans

> This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad,
> but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> -bash: E:: command not found
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs
> ~# E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs
>

> Jim
>
> On 2/10/06, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 10. Feb, 2006 schwätzte Jim B so:
>>
>>> Below is what I have in my /etc/apt/sources.list
>>>

>>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>>> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>>>
>>> What is the best way to be able to update the system considering I can
>> not
>>> now do I need to upgrade to sarge?
>>
>> https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/
>>
>> Read cafod.
>>
>> Either use the pinning method listed there or use -t with apt-get to stay
>> with the stable release. -t Also works for aptitude. Synaptic has a way of
>> sticking with a particular release as well.
>>
>> See if upgrading to the current stable fixes the problem for you.
>>
>> Have you updated this system to sarge in the past or are you running an
>> un-updated woody?
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>>> Jim

>> doing

>> --
>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
>> #  Join the League of Professional System Administrators!
>> https://LOPSA.org/
>> #  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.
>> #  When I sit, I sleep. - Embe Kugler

#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)
#  -- Kevin Buettner