OT: Hands Off Google!

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Feb 9 14:29:42 MST 2006

Am 09. Feb, 2006 schwätzte Joshua Zeidner so:

>> Still essentially the same non-.cn results for US search at Google.com.
>

> thats wierd!  when I click the Tiananmen in .cn I get 'super happy fun'
> pictures, when I click on .com I get tanks with students, etc.

You allow cookies from Google?

>  These problems are surely the beginning of much bigger ones in the
> future.  One can imagine the number of ways that a search company could
> control a group or society through an engine that users assume is impartial

It's an extention of the debate on self-publication vs. having to go
through established publication outlets. The search engines are becoming
a necessary advertising/marketing outlet.

> and objective.  I would think that eventually there will be government
> regulations on search engines, in addition to new regulations introduced at

There already are to some extent. Search engines, ISPs, etc. have been
able to duck it a little by saying it's not feasable to filter data. It's
becoming feasable. Dunno what they'll say then...

> the IP transport level as well.  This of course would require a much higher

Do you mean gov't regs or that the IP proto will change?

> level of formalization in the information and linguistic sciences.  There is
> a growing contingency of tech savvy activists who are vehemently fighting
> this encroachment into thier digital communication infrastructure.
> http://www.eff.org .  There is Lessig of course, and a few other important
> lawyers and technology people.  I had mentioned on the Azipa list more than
> a year ago the problems concerning municipal wireless and how hidden cost
> structures will effect their success.  Verizon has since 'put on a happy
> face' and are now ostensibly more positive about the prospects( and sales
> value ) of a 'neutral network'.  It seems more like bait than an honest
> sales bid.

Didn't know Verizon is involved. So much for being able to use bluetooth
devices...

>  In general most people do not understand to what extent this indexing of
> content can be used.  Natural Language Processing has made some serious
> strides in recent years.  It cetainly touches on a lot of hot topics such as
> privacy, etc.

They don't understand and don't care. The latter leads to the former.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...