apt-get not working getting an error installing just about any package

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Feb 9 14:20:48 MST 2006

Am 09. Feb, 2006 schwätzte Jim B so:

> I was trying to do an apt-get dist-upgrade but I get the following message
> and I am actually getting this on several systems.
>
> This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad,
> but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> -bash: E:: command not found
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs
> ~# E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs

Are you tracking testing or unstable?

If so, maybe ask aptbot ( or whatever it's called ) on the #debian irc
channel.

Most likely you should avoid upgrades until the bug has been fixed and a
new package is available :).

http://bugs.debian.org/e2fsprogs

I see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=325834.

So maybe you should ignore my advice...

ciao,

der.hans

> What is the best way to proceed I have seen some people have been doing the
> following:
>

> "/etc/apt/apt.conf" and putting in it the line:
>    APT::Force-LoopBreak "true";
>
> Jim

#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans