OT: Hands Off Google!

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Feb 8 07:29:55 MST 2006

Randy,
You're probably right about the Microsoft thing- though you kind of
expect that  thing out of them, and hope Google will be above it.  ;-)
I was appalled when I first heard that Google agreed to do that.  I
don't think that I would, if I was running Google - but heck, I'm the
kind of a guy who won't hire any employees because I refuse to become a
government snitch.  We shouldn't neglect to mention that Yahoo and MSN
do also censor for the Chinese, though not as effectively - see article
by Declan McCuallagh, 1/23/06, news.com.com.   I think that even a
censored Google will do the Chinese people some good, and that the Feds
are certainly hypocrites to criticize them, given that they make deals
with obnoxious dictatorships all the time (like our buddies in Saudi
Arabia and Pakistan.)  On the other hand, let's not let Google forget
that they ARE doing some evil here.
Vaughn