fstab (phone home)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 8 06:19:35 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 05:54 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 09:07 pm, Craig White wrote:
>
> > It might be '/home' or it might be a copy of it...
> > perhaps this might reveal something...
> > ls -ld /home
>
> bmike1 at 0[bmike1]$         ls -ld /home
> drwxrwsr-x    5 root     staff        4096 2005-01-24 20:13 /home
>
> > at some point, you might want to see where the disk usage is...
> >
> > du -sh /*
> > ----
>
> bmike1 at 0[bmike1]$ sudo du -sh /*
> 3.7M    /bin
> 1.8M    /boot
> 4.0K    /cdrom
> 4.0K    /cdwriter
> 128K    /dev
> 18M     /etc
> 4.5M    /home
> 47M     /lib
> 16K     /lost+found
> 1.6G    /mnt
> 4.0K    /No.Files
> 2.4M    /opt
> 386M    /proc
> 544M    /root
> 6.0M    /sbin
> 4.0K    /sys
> 191M    /tmp
> 2.0G    /usr
> 484M    /var
----
it sure seems as though your '/home' is in / and not symlinked
elsewhere.

I am gathering that the du for /mnt aggregates the space used on other
filesystems though I was under the impression that du only considered
the current file system. Nope...I was wrong, it does aggregate space
usage across filesystems...I just checked on my system.

you've got a bunch of stuff in /root that may or may not be needed.

Thus if /home is really in / - then the stuff in /mnt/hda4 (if I recall
correctly) is just duplicate or old data and you might have more space
on /dev/sda that you can use - never did see what that looked like
besides your swap space.

Craig